Your watch might look amazing, but how will it be of service when you’re in a sandstorm or underwater? Military watches present the highest tier of resilience and utility and they are far more than just a fashion accessory on your wrist!
- Best Military Watches Under 200 on the Market Now
- Types of Military Watches
- Things to Consider When Buying a Military Watch
- Final Thoughts
Best Military Watches Under 200 on the Market Now
Military watches are meant for people who are extreme sports junkies, marines, paratroopers, soldiers, or anyone who lives on the edge of survival. That doesn’t mean that a regular person cannot enjoy owning a military watch, but it’s more that the best military watches need to be evaluated according to how well they perform the duties they are created for.
If you’re looking for a high-quality military watch that won’t break the bank, make sure that you check out our list of military watches under 200!
1. Casio G-Shock Men’s Military Watch
The Casio G-Shock Men’s Military Watch stands out from the competition as it’s an incredibly affordable piece with an all-black yet modern appearance. All Casio watches include durable elements in them, especially the G-SHOCK series which are made to resist vibrations and mechanical shocks.
This watch is low-temperature resistant and mud resistant as well. Some of its special features include the option of both 12 and 24 hour formats, five alarms, countdown timer, stopwatch, flash alert, and 29 different time zones.
The display shows the month, date, and day. No matter how rigorously you use this watch, the date and time reading of this watch will stay reliable and precise. You can use this watch for extreme water sports due to the fact that it’s water-resistant up to 660 feet. However, it’s not suitable for scuba diving, so if you’re a scuba diver you should probably look at some of the other watches on this list.
- Made with a highly durable resin case
- Made by a leader in the watch industry known for producing high-quality watches
- Accurate due to quartz movement
- Can set up to 5 alarms
- Not suitable for scuba diving
- Not solar powered
2. NIXON Regulus Water Resistant Men’s Digital Sport Watch
If you’re looking for a super-tough and no-nonsense watch, then the Nixon Regulus Water Resistant Men’s Digital Sport Watch is a great choice for you. This watch is suitable for use in tough, dirty, and difficult environments.
It has a water resistance of up to 330 feet and it is encased in polycarbonate in the shape of a rectangle. The 46 millimeter body is quite sturdy, but it happily fits under the sleeve of a sweater or a hoodie. Besides it’s durability, this watch also comes with plenty of exciting features.
For instance, you can time several events simultaneously with the dual chronograph feature of this watch. In addition, it has a LED backlight, a three-alarm function, and 5 year battery life.
The letters and numbers on the display are beautifully designed, and the watch is clearly fashionable besides the fact that it has a performance edge too. The matte black color of the watch is different from the black we see on other watches and emphasizes the sharp angles and cool shape of the watch.
- Competitively priced
- Minimalist style
- Long battery life
- Construction is super tough
- No option to change the straps without ruining the look of the watch
- Negative display can be difficult to read at times
3. SUUNTO Core, Outdoor Sports Watch
If you’re a person that likes going on adventures, then this SUUNTO Core, Outdoor Sports Watch is a great companion to take with you. Even though it’s not a complete smart watch, with this timepiece you will get a couple of features that you can’t get anywhere else.
While it has the usual features you would expect, like a compass and timer, it also has an altimeter and barometer. The altimeter gauges your progress and records your altitude during descent or ascent, while the barometer measures changes in pressure and notifies you of potential storms.
The weather features include sunrise and sunset times and weather trend indicators. Moreover, it has a decent battery life of around a year. All in all, the SUUNTO Core, Outdoor Sports Watch does exactly what it says on the box.
- Integrates indicators and times
- Includes an altimeter and barometer
- Has weather features
- Digital display
- Screen is a bit dim
4. Seiko Men’s Watch
The Seiko Men’s Watch might be the best automatic watch on the market under 200. It is a well-respected, sleek, and stylish timepiece that is durable, long-lasting, and comfortable to wear!
This Seiko watch displays both the day and date, exhibition case back, in-house automatic movement, and a clean military aesthetic. The watch never requires any battery changes because it’s self-winding. It is definitely a major player in the watch industry that almost everyone is able to recognize and has long years of experience thanks to the fact that it was established in 1881.
It is safe to say that this watch isn’t the most formal looking watch, but it’s ideal to wear as a day-to-day watch. Fabric straps are a popular choice among many watch lovers and we must say that we love the design of the dial. If you take proper care of it, you can expect your Seiko watch to last a long time.
The only drawback of this watch is that it only provides 100 feet of water resistance. What this means is that you can’t repeatedly submerge the watch under water, but it will be able to handle splashes.
- Extremely light and comfortable on the wrist
- Automatic movement and clear caseback
- Durable stainless steel design
- Sleek design
- Provides only 100 feet of water resistance
- Can expect to lose about 1 minute per month in accuracy
5. Smith & Wesson Men’s Sports Watch
The Smith & Wesson Men’s Sports Watch is one of the easiest watches on the planet to check out in low light conditions as well as complete darkness. The watch has a sturdy and modern design that features a black stainless-steel case back and a black face, as well as a rotating timing bezel.
This watch is an ideal choice if you’re in the protection, safety, and emergency sectors, armed forces, vigorous sports, or you like going on adventures. Smith & Wesson has been a partner to law enforcement ever since the 80s, developing tools that help fight crime and increase public safety. The watch provides up to 660 feet of water resistance, so you can go snorkeling, swimming, and scuba diving while you’re wearing this watch.
- Water resistant up to 660 feet
- Equipped with a tritium light source that provides 20 years’ worth of consistent glow
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
- Requires careful maintenance
Types of Military Watches
There are plenty of differences you can find when comparing one military watch to another. However, military watches generally fall under one of these three categories:
- Pilot Watches: Pilot watches typically include high resistance to atmospheric pressure and large dials you can easily read. They are designed after aircraft gauges and are great if you’re planning to jump out of an airplane.
- Tactical Field Watches: These types of watches feature a minimalistic design and have very legible dials and slim bodies. They are tough and durable watches, and have been created specifically to meet the needs of extreme sports fans and military personnel.
- Heavy Duty Watches: A heavy duty watch is a durable and robust watch appropriate for heavy-duty work, which is pretty different when compared to a normal watch.
Things to Consider When Buying a Military Watch
In order to feel confident about the money you’ve just invested in a military watch, you need to make sure that it meets a specific set of standards that military watches need to have. In this section, we will talk about the features you need to look for when you’re purchasing a military watch.
The durability of your military watch is enhanced when it is water resistant. To see how reliable your watch is when it’s exposed to pressure, make sure that you check out its atmosphere rating. If you fall in some water or get stuck in a storm, you don’t want your watch to be compromised!
Military personnel depend on accurate watches in order to time key actions and coordinate events during their missions. If accuracy is a priority for you, then we would suggest going for digital or quartz watches, even though there are also a lot of high-quality military watches that are available.
A mechanical watch will be accurate to more or less than 10 seconds per day, and if you’re in the field and need clear communication, this might be unacceptable.
If you have an active lifestyle, the readability of the watch is a feature that should be really important to you. If you’re skiing, rock climbing, or doing an activity at a fast pace, you want to just glance at the watch and know the time.
A feature that you might find helpful and that some military watches include is the backlight that is automatically activated when you’re looking at the watch.
You need to pick a type of wrist strap that will match your application of the watch. Usually, watches used in seaborne operations or SEAL teams require a silicone, rubber, or molded plastic strap. These types of straps ensure water resistance.
If your operations are air-based or you’re using your watch on dry land, the wrist strap should be comfortable, lightweight, and allow your skin to breathe. Typically, canvas straps are preferred for this application.
Something that is essential to any military watch is durability. Military watches need to be shock-proof and impact-resistant while they’re exposed to different external influences.
Nowadays, models include a construction and design with hardened resin, carbon-fiber, plastics, rubber, and other lang-lasting and durable materials. The way you intend to use your military watch should dictate the material your watch is made out of. For instance, if you’re a diver and intend to wear your watch on such occasions, polymer or resin molded cases provide a pressure-resistant and lightweight casing.
Moreover, look for watches that are made out of materials that are resistant to scratches. Some materials that are commonly used for military watches are sapphire or crystal watch faces. A great way to protect your watch against damage is by getting a polymer or stainless-steel military watch.
Battery Power Source
You can choose between a couple of power sources when you’re choosing the perfect military watch. The different types of power sources for your watch are the following:
- Mechanical Watch: This classic design requires you to wind the dial once or twice a day in order to charge the watch.
- Automatic Watch: The energy required to power the watch is created by the natural movement of your wrist.
- Kinetic Watch: With a kinetic movement type, the movement of your body powers the watch.
- Solar-Powered Watch: These models use UV rays from the sun to provide the watch with an endless supply of energy. These types of watches typically come with a battery backup if you’re working in overcast conditions or it’s nighttime.
- Quartz Watch: This type of watch is affordable and precise, and uses a battery for power.
After reading through this guide, you should have a good idea about what the best military watch should look like. However, it can be overwhelming and challenging to pick one model. You can rely on our top picks if you’re struggling with choosing the best military watch under 200 for you!